Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40PismoBeach Then and Now The rich history of Pismo Beach began at least 9,000 years ago with the Chumash Indians, who referred to the area as “pismu,” meaning tar, a reference to the tar deposits commonly used by the Chumash to caulk and seal their canoes. 1542 – Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo christens San Luis Bay as Todos Santos (All Saints Bay). 1769 – Don Gaspar de Portola and parties camped in the area. According to the diary of Costanso, a member of the Portola expedition, “The party continued over the sand dunes and then descended to the beach, along which they walked for several miles before camping for the night. Near their camping place was an Indian village of some forty people.” This same beach is known today as Pismo Beach. 1840 – The Mexican government established the 8,830-acre Rancho el Pismo and granted it to Jose Ortega. In 1850 California state- hood dissolved the earlier land grants, and the area was divided into much smaller parcels. 1881 – Pismo’s first wharf was built by San Francisco business- men. 1887 – John Price sells the Pismo Beach Hotel to A.E. Pomeroy and Charles Stimson. 1891 – The Southern Pacific Railroad opened a railroad depot at Edna Road, connecting Pismo Beach with San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Early 1900s – The turn of the century was a wild time in Pismo Beach. Pismo was known for its many saloons, along with several notorious brothels. Other amuse- ment-type businesses offered a variety of entertainment, including a skating rink, a bowling alley, and a dance hall. Hotels such as the El Pizmo Inn and the Wave Hotel welcomed tourists from all over California, and soon the 1891 Th S th P ifi 6 ClassicCalifornia.com PHOTOS: COURTESY BILL PRICE ▲